Monday, February 12, 2018

William Obadier Jaynes

I guess I'd better talk about the husband of Raney. I have decided to give her back her proper name. I found it on two of her sons death certs. I have my grandmother orally stating that was her name, so she is now, Lorraine Willcutt/Willcut/Wilcut/Wilcot . . . etc. Jaynes. Still with the surname, though! Anyway, she was married to William Obadier Jaynes on the 19th of April, 1869, in Washington County, Indiana.(1) This union lasted 62 years and produced 12 children, all of whom lived into adulthood.

William was born on the 9th of September, 1851 in Munfordsville, Metcalf County, Kentucky. (2) He was the youngest son of David Janes/Jaynes and Nancy Hughart. I wish I had a photograph of him, but I don't. Any family out there that has one and would like to share? It's on my wish list.

He was listed as "farm labor" or just "labor" in the census and on his death certificate. (2)

William died the 7th of February, 1931 in Seymour, Jackson County, Indiana. His cause of death was Tuberculosis. He was 78 years, 4 months, and 29 days old. He was buried in Conologue Cemetery on February the 9th, 1931. (3, 4) There is no marker on the grave. At the time of his death he lived in Seymour proper, at 420 Circle Street. I know that area and at the time it was a nice little housing development. A lot of the family lived in the area over the years. There is a small church there that most of the family attended.

Now I will track him and hope to fill in the blanks. Flesh him out a bit.

#Jaynes #genealogy
Sources:
1. William O. Jeans and Lurana Wilcott, (19 April 1869), Indiana Marriages, 1780-1992: ; FamilySearch, , Indiana.
2. Seymour Daily Republican, 1912 Jackson County Directory (N.p.: n.p., 1912), Page 64.
3. Obituary - William O. Jaynes, Seymour Tribune, Seymour, Indiana, 9 February 1931, Page 1.
4. Certificate of Death, Jackson County, Indiana; Jackson County Health Department, Seymour, Indiana

No comments:

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!