Thursday, February 15, 2018

52 Ancestors, 52 Weeks - Week 7

Sam and Maggie Hovis Martin, date unknown.
Valentine

I just didn't see this as a sloppy, soppy love story kind of thing. I thought about skipping this one but I also thought about my great-great-grandfather, Samuel Sanders Martin, who was born on Valentines Day in 1860, in Seymour, Jackson County, Indiana. His parents were John Martin and Polly Ann Allman. Yes, that is John Martin. How many of those are there? I can attest to about a million. Polly Ann? I think her name was Mary Ann, and they called her Polly Ann. That is an entire weeks worth of blogging right there but, this is about Sam. Did I say they called him Sam? Ok, back to the story.

Sam married Margaret "Maggie" Hovis on the 20th of September, 1883 in Jackson County, Indiana. My grandmother told me a story about Sam and Maggie being at a party and then there was a fight. Sam got knifed and his abdomen was laid open. He was said to have been sewn up on the kitchen table. It was a bad wound, supposedly. It was just a story I was trying to prove or disprove for years. I didn't know the date of the incident so it was hard to find anything about it. The story was, the fight was over Maggie.

One evening I was not feeling well, and I just spent the evening in Newspapers.com, reading anything that came up for "Martin". Guess what I found on the September 21, 1882 issue of the Jackson County Banner, a newspaper in the county. Seems there was a party at Phil Allman's house that turned bad. I have proven the story true! Here is the article from the Jackson County Banner in Brownstown, Indiana:

A Rumpus at a Dance.

A dance came off at Phil Allman's on the other side of the river, on Friday night, which was terminated at 2 o'clock in the morning by a difficulty occurring between Everett Brown and Sam Martin. In the melee Brown drew a knife and hacked away indiscriminately at Martin, cutting him badly in the neck, abdomen and arm. We understand that when the cutting was done both men were down and Brown under. Dr. Stilwell was sent for, who dressed and sewed up the wounds, which, although severe, are not of a fatal character. Brown skedaddled to escape arrest and is still at large. Both are young men belonging to the neighborhood.


What an exciting find! I didn't come down for days! The incident, "rumpus", happened on the 15th of September, 1882. By the way, I am glad Brown was "under". Yes, it is personal now.

#52Ancestors #genealogy #Martin

Source:
Article: "A Rumpus at a Dance." Jackson County Banner, Brownstown, Indiana; Thursday, September 21, 1882, Page 4, Newspapers.com

No comments:

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!