Thursday, February 1, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 5

In the Census

Well this won't take long. There is only one census involved. The 1910 U.S. census of Etowah County, Alabama. It really is the only proof I had that she was real. She, is my great-grandmother, Beatrice Brown Beard.

Beatrice Brown Beard
She was born Beatrice Brown, on May 29, 1890 in Alabama. She should be in the 1900 census with her family, but I have not been able to find her. She married Charles Pinkney Beard on August 22, 1907 in Etowah County, at least I think so. I did get a message once saying that they had seen the marriage record in Etowah and on it was her father's note that it was ok to marry, and he was R.F. Brown. The family story is that she had a brother name Robert. 

The 1910 census lists the family as: Pinkney C., Beatrice, and Lee B. Lee B. is actually Bizzie Lee, my grandmother. Beatrice is listed as 18, but she should be about 20. My grandmother is listed 9 months old, which would be correct. This is the only place I saw her listed for many years.

I sent for the marriage and death record at the state level and they did not have it. I need to find out how to get it at the county level, this year. I searched for R.F. Brown and there are a million, just not one with a daughter that is named or even fits Beatrice, and many had a son named Robert. 

Beatrice died on October 1, 1911. She's buried in Morton Chapel United Methodist Church Cemetery in Walnut Grove, Etowah County, Alabama. I want to know why she died so young.

Do you know Beatrice Brown Beard's family?

#52Ancestors #genealogy #census #Beard #Brown

No comments:

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!