Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Trying To Clean Up A Mess I Made


 I am currently dealing with a mess of my own making. Many years ago, when I was too eager to fill empty boxes, I took another person's word as stone without doing the work. I am not adding so many people now, as I am filling in the blanks and dealing with the mistakes I have made. This one is a doozy, but I was unsure, even all that time ago, so I did not go any further than George Washington Joyce/Joice.  That part is good. The rest is a mess which I am cleaning up. 

The daughter of George W. Joyce is my second great-grandmother Agnes Joyce Hines. The Hines family is set in stone, resourced fully.  It's a great story too. But George W. Joyce is a different story. I was sent a marriage verifying that George Washington Joyce married a Jane Iden in Virginia by a family member years ago. I listed Jane Iden because I had that and the 1850 census which lists "Jane" as his wife. That is not enough, trust me.  In the 1860 census George is with his son Elijah, no Jane here.  I thought she must have died or gotten a divorce. Indiana was a Mid-West little Reno in those days, divorce was easy and fast, so it was a very real possibility.  I decided to come back to it later. Then life happened and it was many years before I got back to working seriously due to health. During my sick time I received an obit for Jane Iden listing three husbands, George W. Joice as husband number one.  Quite frankly I was not up to making those kinds of decisions but did. I took it and added it to the tree, even though it didn't seem quite right.  So here I am. Luckily, I am a firm believer that most mistakes can be fixed.  We will see. 

1850 Craig Township, Switzerland County, Indiana

Geo. Washington Joyce 44 (North Carolina), Jane 43 (North Carolina), Agnes 16 (North Carolina), Robert 15 (North Carolina), George W. 13 (Indiana), Peter 11 (Indiana), Hester 9, (Indiana) Effa 9 (Indiana), Elijah 6 (Indiana), Martha 4 (Indiana), Thomas J 4mos (Indiana).  

Side NOTE: Hester and Effa are twins.

Agnes, the daughter of George W. Joyce, married George Washington Hines. My ancestors.

1860 Craig Township, Switzerland County, Indiana-listed as a farmer. George Sr. is dwelling 232, and George Jr. is dwelling 238.

232-George W. Joice 55 (North Carolina), Elijah 16 (Indiana).

238-George W. Joice 23 (Indiana), Mary 20, (Indiana) Ephraim 4 (Indiana).

Oddly at dwelling 231 is a Richard Sharp 28 (North Carolina), Julia A. 42 (Indiana), Susan 13, William A. 5 (Indiana). 

Julia A. was Julia Ann Hines Sharp, sister to George W. Hines. Richard was born in North Carolina, son of Alexander Sharp and Malinda Cardwell. Susan Hines, another sister of George Hines, married Noah Sharp, again son of Alexander and Malinda.

1860 Vevay, Craig Township, Indiana

Robert Joice 27 (North Carolina), Nancy 18 (Indiana), Jane 50 (North Carolina).

Opppps. Found her. She was "in town" with her son and very young wife, probably helping out. 

1870 Vevay, Craig Township, Indiana-listed as a farmer

Joyce, Robert 40 (North Carolina), Nancy J 26, (Indiana) Josephine 10, (Indiana) Henry 6 (Indiana), James 4 (Indiana), Harrison 10 mos. (Indiana), Joyce, Hester 26 (Indiana), Marion 8 (Indiana), Jane 64 (North Carolina).

George Sr. died before 1870.

Robert Joyce marriage record to Catharine Higgins he lists his parents as Geo. W. Joyce and Jane Sharp.

Peter Joyce death cert lists his parents as George W. Joyce and Jane Sharp.

[sigh] I should have done this years ago. Let's see, everything lists her as Jane Sharp/Sharpe.  Switzerland County, Indiana was home to the Joyce and Sharp family from North Carolina. 

I know. Stupid and sloppy mistake. 

For the record, there is a George Washington Joyce/Joice in North Carolina that married a Jane Iden in Virginia. They did move to Indiana.  Still no excuse. Will update later on.




No comments:

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!