Thursday, August 24, 2023

A Nice Potpourri This Week

 I finished getting all of Uncle Dons things in "the box" scanned and in google photos.  His hunting and new driver licenses, letters, birth, obit and other things are now in the file.  A couple of photos as well. The only thing I did not put in the album is the calendar that was on the wall when he died. My grandmother had written on it, and it just felt so personal to me that I could not share it. She spoke to me about her pain during that time and I just could not share that part.  His death in 1938 stayed raw and painful for her all of her life. I have shared this with you here. (https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y3qn7foH1hrYVtpe7) 

I've had several things going on this week. The first thing I did was to go through all of my paper files and replace the beat-up ones with fresh new folders. First time I've done this in 40 years. It took much longer than it should have since I would get stuck inside the folders, lost in the forgotten gems I had found. Now I have a new list of things to add to the program. I also have a clear idea of how I need to proceed, so there is a lot of scanning in my future. My goal is to get them into binders.  I want all of it reduced to a flash drive and binders. Guess I'll see how that goes. The unpleasant and surprising part is that there was a lot of dust involved. Aaaaachoo! Anyway, I have been studying how to this for some time. I did try to do it before and failed. I like this post by Paul Chiddicks on his blog The Chiddicks Family Tree on how he does it. There is also Genealogy Pants post on the same topic.  I love Carly Morgan's Family Tree Notebooks. I bought one page to try as I'm a PC and she's Apple. I could not get it to work. Broke my heart. She also has YouTubes and you should just watch them, well, just because they are great! If anyone reads this and has some wisdom to impart, I'd love to hear from you.


 Usually, I am at the sewing machine but lately I've been into something else. I saw a pattern for an afghan and suddenly wanted a wildflower afghan. Not very far into it yet but I don't have to buy anything. I have so much yarn from other projects that this is a 'freebie'. My favorite kind. (The pattern is called African Flower, a very simple pattern.)





No comments:

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!