Tuesday, September 5, 2023

What I Know For Sure

 


If I thought I would have it easy researching Geoge Washington Joyce, I was so wrong. Besides cleaning up the mess I made, I needed to find the Joyce family. I found that naming children after George Washington was a thing in the Joyce family. There are a million of them in North Carolina and Virginia. Seriously. So many of them moved on to Indiana, spreading their craziness around. What I know for certain is tiny compared to what I don't know. But I at least know something. I think. John Martin isn't that scary now(:

What I know:

-George Washington Joyce was born in North Carolina between the years of 1805 to 1807. This according to his age listed in census records 1850 and 1860.

-His wife is listed as Jane Sharp/Sharpe in the death certs and some marriage records of the kids.

-Have full list of his living children as per 1850 census. 

-He died before 1870 census. 

-This family started in North Carolina, not Virginia. They ended in Craig Township, Switzerland County, Indiana.

-These are my second line of Scots/Irish ancestors.

-The other George Joyce family is in the northern part of Indiana, while my George is in the southern area. (different migration path)

-They migrated to Indiana between 1832 (Agnes birth) and 1836 (George Washington Jr.'s birth, see?? Another one.)

What I don't know:

-Exact BMD (Oldest listed child is Robert born in 1827[sourced]. Marriage of George Joyce and Jane Sharp is at least a year before that. Maybe? Not found yet.) 

-Parents of George. I'm looking into a Samuel that many trees have him listed as father to George, but no documentation, not close to being able to say yea or nay yet.  

This is going to take a while as the water is still muddy but it's getting clearer. One good thing is that I did not feel confident enough to add this family to WikiTree. My Joyce ancestor, Agnes Joyce Hines [Joyce-475] is the only Joyce I've added there. No cleaning required.

I've found that I like searching at FamilySearch more than at Ancestry. Cleaner results, easier to pinpoint what you are looking for. Yeah, Ancestry has more, but for the basics FamilySearch is it. 

I ran into a great Joyce Family Research site. Lots of information. If you are researching the Joyce family, you should check it out. 

Alexander and Thomas Joyce Family Research 

I'd like to thank Foxymom who helped by fixing the FamilySearch tree. 




No comments:

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!