Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Being Driven to Share Data!

 

I am the County Coordinator for 2 counties in the ALGenWeb, DeKalb and Etowah. I had originally planned to just clean them up and babysit them. For some reason I can't seem to do that. Now, I am over-whelmed with material I want to get online, but I am one person, so it will take a while. When I gave up the counties in Indiana, I had planned not to get involved again. When talking to the Alabama SC, I somehow ended up with two counties. Both are counties that have my family in them. My dad was born and raised in Collinsville in DeKalb County. My great-grandparents, Patrick and Addie Brock lived in the Sand Mountain area of Marshall County. (That one I do not have, but it does has a very good coordinator.) 

The problem I am running into is that both counties are quiet. No traffic. I put several obits on DeKalb yesterday, and I'm hoping that I can determine whether there is any activity, I added a search engine to make it easier to search what I am putting on the site, and also a little counter. It is very quiet so far.

Most of the GenWeb is still online. Many counties have a lot of wonderful data on them. Does no one ever check them for free data? Much of the online data there is not found free anywhere else. Also, it is a good place to find data that is not run of the mill, birth, death or marriage. Great place to flesh out the ancestors.

Every state that is online has many counties needing a coordinator. The GenWeb has not gone away. Add a link to it and check regularly for data. Donate Data! Adopt! Please! It is still relevant. 





No comments:

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!