Thursday, November 18, 2021

Charles Henry Beard

 Charlie is my second great-grandfather. He was born in George to John A. and Malinda Cook Beard in 1852. He was the 4th of 10 children. This is who I have been working on at the moment. I have several mysteries to solve where he is concerned. 

I have not yet found a marriage record for him and first wife, Jane. They had 3 children, Francis M., also known as Frank, who I am still chasing, James A., which turns out I had him with the family but had not known who he really was. He is James Andrew, my mysterious "Drew". I know much more about him now. Last, but not least, Malinda who is a mystery too. 

 Charlie is 26 in the 1880 census and married to Jane with 3 children. He's a farmer, I think, born in Georgia. The census said his occupation was stacking wood? It looks like stacking anyway. Hard to believe that could be an occupation. I will have to look into that. I imaged that perhaps Jane was home when the census taker showed up and she said her husband was out stacking wood. He made the assumption that was his job. LOL Maybe it was a real job back then.

Does it say stacking wood?

Jane was suddenly gone and he married Nancy Elizabeth Bearden, my second great-grandmother, on April 16, 1884. 

In the 1900 census I learned that census takers did not need to know how to spell. He was listed as Barde, C. H., Nancy as Nannie, and my great-grandfather was Chutly. His actual name was Charles Pinkney, mostly known as Pink. I went down the entire census page. The census taker could not spell. Really. Anyway, he is renting a farm. He could read and write, which I can prove. Charlie is 48. 


This is my instance of proof of writing on the marriage record of his daughter Lucinda. It is written in pencil.



Charlie died at age 50 in Turkeytown, Etowah County, Alabama on June 28, 1902. I was able to find the notice of his death in the The Gadsden Times-News.


Transcription:
Charlie Beard Dead.

Last Sunday afternoon at his home in Turkeytown beat, Charlie Beard passed away to the great beyond, leaving a bereaved wife and some six or seven little children. Mr. Beard had been ill about ten days and the disease would not yield to treatment. He was a splendid farmer and a hard worker and always made a good living. We extend our sympathies to the bereaved ones.







1880 US Census, 1880 Census, (R 9, Blue Pond Beat, Cherokee, Alabama, United States); , HeritageQuest.

Charley Beard and Nancy Bearden, (16 April 1884), Alabama Marriages, 1816-1957: FamilySearch, Alabama.

1900 US Census, 1900 US Census, (Hollis Precinct, Etowah, 
Alabama, United States); , HeritageQuest.

"Alabama County Marriages, 1809-1950," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:29NF-JRG : 19 February 2021), Yancy Baker and Lucinda Beard, 03 Mar 1909; citing Marshall, Alabama, United States, County Probate Courts, Alabama; FHL microfilm 2,266,556.

The Gadsden Times-News, Gadsden, Alabama, Friday, July 4, 1902
Page 2. Newspapers.com




No comments:

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!