Monday, November 15, 2021

Happy Fall


 The leaves all changed and are almost gone now. I was here but I blinked and it's over. It was beautiful for a day.

I had to get a new computer. It has Windows 11 on it, and I find I like it very much. I love the look of it, very clean yet familiar. Nice rounded corners. So far so good. I just have to name him. Still thinking on that.

Firefox is a pain. Not working at all well. I had to remove Chrome. I don't know for sure, but I think it lost it's mind. And, it was up to date. I may try again later, but right now I am too mad at it. I have been using Edge. I've become a big Edge fan now! It is so fast and light, very pleasing to the eye, and it takes all my chrome add-ons! Firefox continues to pop up a little window asking if I want to switch my default to it. It’s just too needy and clingy to take serious. LOL It's very slow compared to Edge. 

I've been working to learn RootsMagic 8. I'm surprised by the software, as I have found that I hate the thing. I've loved RootsMagic up through version 7.  I don't understand version 8. Seems to me it would have been better to keep improving on what works really well. 7 is friendly, 8 is not. What I can do in 7 with 2 clicks, I need at least 4 clicks in 8. I have to stop and look for too many things in 8 while I am working. Some things I'm still looking for and I'm beginning to think they're not there. I wish I had written everything out as I tried to find them, but I did not. It is definitely no ready for prime time. It was being sold at least 2 years ago, and just came out in October? I bought my copy at RootsTech 2021.  I've had no trouble coming up with a name for 8, by the way. I'd probably go to blogger jail if I told you, so it will remain a secret. At any rate, my question now is, how long will 7 be supported? I believe it is important to stay up to date if you want your work to live beyond you. So, what to do? I have Legacy, but it is not the answer as it too has a name I can’t say. I know FamilyTreeMaker, but it is crazy expensive. I'm so sad. I love RootsMagic 7 so much.

Trying to get caught up on Wikitree. I love this site. I had not added anything new for a long time. Now, I try to get there once a week and add a little. How many people check Wikitree? Everyone should. I need my work to be out there and current  since I removed my personal family site from RootsWeb. I believe they (Ancestry) are slowly getting rid of it, so I took the step of taking it down. It was in need of a major update. I could look at other places. I don’t know where most of us family history keepers keep sites now. 

Very busy couple of weeks. 




Photo by <a href="https://freeimages.com/photographer/awottawa-49436">Alistair Williamson</a> from <a href="https://freeimages.com">FreeImages</a>


No comments:

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!