Thursday, January 25, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 4

Invite To Dinner

Well, on the surface that seems like an easy one. My first thought was my dad. He kept telling me that when he retired he would tell me all about his young life then. He never retired. He couldn't sit still, always had to be up and doing. So we never had that talk. Then, there is my Grandmother. How I still miss her every day. What I wouldn't give to see to her again.

Seriously though, I have quite a number of females with no birth name. They are not connected to a family. I would like to give them their name and family. I would have to have several dinners, or maybe a banquet. How often do you get the woman's view of how hard it was back then. She cared for the house, had the children, and cared for them, made sure her husband did not go hungry or without clothes. A lot of the old obituaries and death notices list a woman as Mrs. So and So. Not by her name or birth family. I'd love to give them their place, a name and family. I'd like to know what their lives were like. It's easy to assume they what they did, but I bet it was quite different than we think.

Or perhaps I could choose Rudolph Brock, one of my immigrant ancestors. It boggles my mind thinking about leaving what you know and going to a place that is unknown. Leaving behind almost everything, including your extended family, and starting over. It's a very brave thing to do. That would make an interesting dinner, for sure.

On the other hand, it would be very entertaining to have dinner with at least one of our founding fathers. Hear what they think of what this country has become.

I can't choose just one.


#52Ancestors #genealogy #Brock

No comments:

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!