Thursday, May 10, 2018

52 Ancestors 52 Weeks Week 19

James L. Morgan

Mr. James L. Morgan was born about 1805 in North Carolina to William and Mary [LaFoy] Morgan. I have seen his name listed as James Lafoy Morgan, and that may be true, but I have not proof of it. His father was born in Virginia, but all of his children were born in North Carolina. William Morgan, James father, died in Tennessee as did James. The migration was Virginia, North Carolina, and into Tennessee. Some of the siblings went on to Alabama.

I don't have a marriage date or source for James, yet. I know he married Matilda Caroline Galloway somewhere in South Carolina. She is the daughter of John and Kezzia [Maudin] Galloway. The family consists of: John and Matilda, Mary Ann aka Polly, William M., Gardiner, Posey, Mary Louise, James Millard, Andrew Anderson, Henry E., Sarah Caroline, and Delila B. Morgan. That is all the children I have found for them.

The first census that lists the family by names is the 1850 US Census in Monroe County, Tennessee, that has them listed as dwelling 1155, and family 1155. James is 43, Caroline is 46, Gardiner age 20, Posey is a male and 18, Mary is 16, James, 13, Andrew is 12, Henry 10, Sarah 7, Tilda is 5, Mary Morgan is listed as 65, Matilda Morgan 37, Caroline 11, and Samson is 8. 

From this one source I have several questions to answer. The first one is why is Matilda Morgan, 37, and the two children below her in the census record, named, Caroline 11, and Samson, 8, living with James. He did have a sister named Matilda, but she would not be a Morgan with 2 children. The census lists her as Morgan. The Mary Morgan listed as 65, is obviously the Mother of James. I have no death date for James father, William. So, do I believe that perhaps, Williams death date should be listed as before 1850? His wife is living with their son in 1850.

Now things are different when it comes to the 1870 census. The census taker was obviously a drinking man. He was quite into his cups when he visited my Morgan family. I think I have been able to clear the confusion, at least, as best I can, considering. It is in Madisonville, Monroe County, Tennessee.

The census, by sight, lists Jous 65, Matilda 61, Sarah 27, Delilu 26, Ruther 9, Larerg 7, Mary 5, and Delilis 3. All listed as Morgan. To start, Jous is James, of course, and  Sarah is Sarah Caroline [Morgan] Saffells. She married Henderson Elijah Saffells. Her children are Adeline Ruth and Lawrence Larando Saffells. I can see that in the census is Sarah and 2 of her children; Ruth, or Ruthie, and Lawrence is most likely Larerg? I don’t know how, but he has to be. Delilu 26, must be Delila [Morgan] Gann. She married Robert M. Gann. Her children may be the Mary and Delilis? Perhaps. Delila's daughter Malissa would be 5 at the time of the census so it most likely is her listed as Mary. You only need to look at the spelling to know that it is possible. The Delilu 3, I don't know, but, probably one of Sarah or Delila's children that I have not found yet. I will search for that. I think the older Morgan girls were maybe visiting. I really need to find out why they would be listed with the parents. Make sure they were not widowed or divorced. 

This is a family needing much work. It is going to be interesting to see if I was right about the children of the 2 Morgan girls.

Sources:
Ancestry.com. 1850 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.
Ancestry.com. 1870 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2009. Images reproduced by FamilySearch.

#52ancestors #genealogy #familyhistory #Morgan #Galloway  #Saffells #Gann


No comments:

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!