First, today is my step-fathers birthday. So, Happy Birthday, Frank!
I have a few blanks to fill in here. Reed Atkins wife Polly, for one. I have not found her maiden yet. Amanda and John Alexander are my great-great-grandparents. I do know what they look like. I have a family photo taken about 1875. It is a wonderful treasure!
Ancestors of Margaret Amanda Atkins
Generation No. 1
1. Margaret "Amanda" Atkins[1,2,3], born Jan 1847 in Indiana; died 23 Apr 1914 in Seymour, Jackson Coounty, Indiana. She was the daughter of James Hite Adkins and Margaret H Stillwell. She married first, Jacob Rich 17 Sep 1854 in Jackson County, Indiana. She married John Alexander[5,6,7,8,9], 29 Dec 1861 in Seymour, Jackson County, Indiana. He was born 15 Nov 1842 in Indiana, and died 04 Aug 1904 in Seymour, Jackson County, Indiana. He was the son of John H. Alexander and Mary Frances Carter, AKA 'Frankie Lucus'.
Generation No. 2
2. James Hite Adkins, born Abt. 1815 in Madison County, Alabama; died 1853 in Jackson County, Indiana. He was the son of Reed Atkins and Polly UNK. He married Margaret H Stillwell.
3. Margaret H Stillwell, born 1817 in Alabama; died 15 Aug 1866 in Jackson County, Indiana. She was the daughter of Joseph E Stillwell.
Children of James Adkins and Margaret Stillwell are:
- Margaret Amanda Atkins[1,2,3]
- Martha Read Atkins
- William D. Atkins
- Joseph E. Atkins
- Charles B. Atkins
- Benjamin C. Atkins
- Clarissa Adaline Atkins
1. 1910 Census Jackson County, Indiana, John Alexander 37, Mabel 10, Amanda 63.
2. Obituary, Seymour Tribune, April 23, 1914, Seymour TribuneApril 23, 1914Mrs. Alexander Dead Mr.s Amanda Alexander, aged about sixty-five years, died at 9:30 oclock this morning at the home of her son, William Alexander, North Broadway. She had been ill for some time. She is survived by two daughters and two sons. The remains will be interred at the cemetery at Norman Station but the arrangements for the funeral have not been completed.OBITUARY Mrs. Amanda Alexander was born Jan. 14, 1849, and died April 22, 1914, at the home of her son, Will, at Seymour, aged 65 years, 3 months and 8 days. She leaves to mourn their loss two sons and two daughters, viz: Will, of Seymour; John, of Indianapolis; Mrs. Kate Wildelson, of Bedford, Mrs. Anna Lane, of near Zelma, and a host of friends and relatives. She was a kind and affectionate mother and a faithful neighbor and her smile will not be forgotten by those who knew her. She expressed her willingness to go several times before her death. The remains were brought here, Saturday a.m., and taken to Liberty. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. I.E. Fish after which she was laid to rest beside her husband in the cemetery there.
3. Certificate of Death, Book and Page: 2-62, April 23, 1914 at Seymour, Jackson County, Indiana cause of death: Cancer of Liver.
4. Marriage Index: Indiana, 1851-1900, Bk# C Pg# 102DAR00970.
5. 1870 Census Jackson County, Indiana, John H. Alexander 28, Margaret 22, Sarah E 6, Charles E. 4/12.
6. 1880 Census Jackson County, Indiana, John H. Alexander 37, Margret A. 33, Charles E. 9, John E. 7, Anna C. 5.
7. 1900 Census Jackson County, Indiana, John H. Alexander 57, Amanda 53, William H. 20.
8. Marriage, Jackson Co., IN Marriage Page 447.
9. Certificate of Death, Book and Page: H23-10, August 4,1904 at Norman Station, Jackson County, Indianacause of death: Apoplexy.
10. GEDCOM Online, Descendents of John Slavinhttp://www.gencircles.com/users/wolfgang7/27David Lidester