Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Celebrate Your Name Week - What My Name Means

I saw the post, "Celebrate Your Name Week - Where did my Name come from?" on Randy Seaver's Genea-Musings. He took it from another. Seems to be spreading so I thought I'd play too.
It sounds like fun since I already have done a lot of research on my first name. My real first name. My grandmother named me. When I was growing up, the only place I ever saw my given name was at the graveyard. My Grandmother named me for her friend that had died very young. She insisted that it not be shortened but most of the family called me Sheri anyway. Until after she died, I did not shorten it ever. No one ever pronounced it right and I would have to tell them how to pronounce it. To a shy child that was painful, and I was a shy child. I have run across it a couple of times, once in California and once in my dentist office. Well, anyway, my name is Sherida. It is derived from a gaelic word meaning, 'he who is searching' or 'one who seeks'. Is that appropriate or what?? I've always been searching. Unfortunately for everything. Lovely mysteries, spirit, answers (to everything my mind can question), the spooky mysteries and all my family that I can find in my lifetime. I probably need to change my name to whatever means 'one who has found'. That way I can relax more.

Behind the Name said:
SHERIDA was not found in this database.

Is This Your Name said:
Forename:
Origin: Hmmm... Sorry, we don't know.
Meaning:

According to the US Census Bureau°, fewer than 0.001% of US residents have the first name 'Sherida'. The US has around 300 million residents, so we guesstimate there is only 1 American who goes by the name Sherida Bush.

They're wrong. There are 3 of us, I think. Oh yes, I am not a Bush really. When I have the urge and time, at the same moment, I will legally return to my maiden name which means: a badger; in Gaelic or Irish, Cornish British and Welsh. Sooooo. Badger. I'm not really a badger. They are rather bad tempered, aren't they? I am even-tempered and patient. Really.

My middle name means 'meadow'(Old English/my research). I'm not going to talk about it.

2 comments:

Earline Hines Bradt said...

It must have been ESP when I posted about my name the other day, I have never heard of 'Celebrate Your Name Week' before. I checked out my name on the sites and there are 12 people in the US with the name Earline Hines, I wonder how many in Canada?

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

How wonderful to have a rare name. My first name Evelyn is relatively common if you take into account the spelling variations (Eveline etc.) however I haven't met many Yvonnes - or at least not many under fifty.
I think it's a name that's fallen out of style, although it's still used in Quebec.
Evelyn in Montreal

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!