Saturday, July 15, 2023

The Sad, Embarrassing Truth

 


I think I have finally admitted that one piece of software is not going to cover it all. I have sinned. . . . . (tears and guilt, etc.)  I downloaded the free version of RootsMagic9 just to try and see if I could make sense of it. A couple of videos later I am frustrated not because I couldn't figure it out, but because I couldn't use much of the "new" features that I thought interesting. I had pre-bought 8 before it came out so, I got a discount. Yes, I bought it. Not sorry.

I had created a Fact Type called WikiTree in Legacy and it transferred perfectly to RM9.  But to create one in RM9 is so simple as well.  I can also see who I have gotten entered on the WikiTree site simply by adding it to the People List under Customize. I can see who has a number and who does not, so I know who I need to add to WikiTree.   

I had just started using hashtags in Legacy and loved it. I don't think they transferred. I had added so few that I was unable to find any, but the "Groups" seem to do what I wanted to do with my "tags". I had wanted to be able to make a list of my war veterans by conflict.  Check. Easy peasy. Okay, I still have a lot to do. I can think of so many more "groups" I can do. It's truly a wonderful research tool.

Adding sources are so different from version 7.  I'm not crazy about it, but Legacy is just as different. So, I will have to pull up the big girl panties and do it until it becomes a smooth process.

I have more videos to watch on RM9. I have had trouble finding good videos on 'how to' in Legacy. It's been a little harder.



No comments:

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!