Thursday, November 29, 2018

52 Ancestors 52 Week 48

Elbert Brock

Elbert Brock was born in 1805 in the Spartenburg County, South Carolina area. He was the son of Henry James Brock and Mary Jane Queener.

I don't know as much about Elbert as I would like. I have a lot to do with this man, and it will probably take a trip or hiring someone to find out more. This is a work in progress.

Elbert married Mary sometime before 1830. I believe her name is Mary Sanders, but can find no verification. I am still looking.

Elbert is found in the 1830 and 1840 census in McMinn County, Tennessee. He is near his father in both places. I can see the number of people in the household and their ages, but no detail.

In 1850 I can finally see the house members by name. The family is in Subdivision 23, McMinn County, Tennessee.
Head of household is Henry, 80, and Mary, 80. This is Elbert's parents. Elbert is 45, Mary, his wife, is 43, and the children are: Lucinda, 19, Avan is 17 years old. They are farmers.

Elbert died, intestate in September of 1853. I need to transcribe the probate, but that will have to be in another post. Very interesting though.

Elbert and Mary had 4 children, as far as I can tell. Isaac was born in 1828, and died in 1848, Andrew Jackson was born in 1830 and died after 1906; Lucinda was born in 1831 and died in 1853, and Aaron, listed as Avan in the 1850 census, was born in 1833, and I have seen that others have him dying before 1860, but I have not been able to verify it. I don't think it's right, since they have him in South Carolina at the time.

Elbert and Mary are my 4th great-grandparents. I have much work to do on them and their family. I am descended from Elbert's son, Andrew Jackson Brock.

Sources:
1830 Census; NARA microfilm publication M19, 201 rolls. Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29. National Archives, Washington, D.C.  Ancestry.com.
1840 Census;  NARA microfilm publication M704, 580 rolls. Records of the Bureau of the Census, Record Group 29. National Archives, Washington, D.C.  Ancestry.com.
1850 Census;  Subdivision 23, Mcminn, Tennessee; Roll: M432_887; Page: 349A; Image: 788; Ancestry.com.

#52ancestors #genealogy

No comments:

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!