Monday, April 9, 2018

My Oliver P. (Perry or Percy) Abbett/Abbott Mystery

I am working on a mystery.

I actually spent too much time on trying to figure out if Oliver P. Abbett is Percy Abbott. There is a Percy and a Perry, both are listed as Oliver. My great-grandmother married one. At least I think there is two. According to oral history, he was Percy. There is a marriage of Cora Hines to Oliver P. Abbett. She was young and her father signed a note for her. Oliver P. was much older than Cora at the time. Unfortunately her father's note covers Olivers full name. I have not found the marriage application yet. The marriage was in Jennings County, Indiana. 

In the 1900 census, there is a Percy Abbett, also listed [Perry Abbett], age 65, and divorced which fits the story, which says they were divorced. Percy was born in 1834, Cora in 1870. That would make him 16 years older than her. This is in Jackson County, Indiana.

In 1870 Census there is a Perry Abbett that is 35, which is right, married to Mary C. with 6 children. This is in Bartholomew County, Indiana.

Cora was born in Neoga, Illinois. How did she get into Indiana and have her father sign for her?

There were 2 children, Catherine Edna (Katie) and Percy, Jr. I know what happened to Katie. I have not found any evidence of Percy Jr. My aunt said Percy was buried in Washington County beside his sister, but that is not true. Katie was buried beside her husband in Riverview Cemetery in Seymour, Indiana. My aunt also said that Percy, when a child, just laid down one day and died. I don't know what to get from that.

So this is what I am working on now. I may be stuck for a while. Anyone know this family?

No comments:

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!