Thursday, April 9, 2009

Still Plodding On . . . . .

I have been updating files. Actually, file. I am still working on my Janes/Jaynes file. I have entered hundreds of sources, numerous individuals, photos and documents. I still have to finish up adding the census cites then I will be done, completely up to date with my Janes/Jaynes family. Sounds good. But . . . . :o) . . . . I have 3 more to update after this one. It is going to take a while.
NEW PROMISE TO SELF:
I will enter sources, individuals and documents as I go. I will not say, "I'll do it later", not once! This will not happen again.
I hope I'm listening. I am sniffling, sneezing and headachy which requires meds. But, of course that is NO excuse. I'll be very mad at myself if I come to this point again in a couple of years.
I can't believe how it piles up so fast. Anyway, I pulled all my files of the people in the file and have gone through the notes again. Some little treasures there. They didn't fit the last time I went through them, they do now. That is always fun. Besides it is very nice to see how far along I have come on some of the lines in the file. While still at a standstill on others. In particular my David Janes in Kentucky. I think in the end I will have to go through all the Janes in the area and find where they belong. Perhaps then I can see another avenue in this family. Though I am still pretty certain that he is the son of David from the "History of the Janes-Peek Family by Dr. Collins. If that is the only Janes family/line in the area, I will be even more certain. I can't find his death. I know they came north to Indiana to Washington County after 1860, as he is in the Washington County census in 1870. But other researchers have him in Kentucky after that, so it is still up in the air. So the hunt will continue when I have the time.......
I am doing all of this in the RootsMagic 4. I am VERY happy with this program! I cannot even say how happy. Sources are a breeze. It's nice to NOT have questions about how to cite a particular source. I've run into just about every kind citable (if that is a word) and no questions. I wasn't sure about 3, but I am pleased with 4. I've gotten quite familiar with the program now too.

5 comments:

kinfolknews said...

Way to go,Sheri! I've been considering putting all my gen info.in one place for a very long time. The task just seems overwhelming. I have RM4 as well and think now is the perfect time. Thank you for the inspiration!
Regina

Becky Wiseman said...

It can be a real pain to go through old files, especially when you'd rather be doing something else. But I almost always find something I missed the first time through!

Hope you don't suffer too much with your allergies...

my Heritage Happens said...

You have accomplished so much! It must be a great feeling and I am a bit envious. I wish I were as far as you, I need to get a crackin!

Happy Blogoversary to you tomorrow also, in case I miss the chance to tell you!

Bill West said...

Happy Blogiversary, Sheri!

Anonymous said...

Hi, after reading this remarkable post i am as well glad to share
my knowledge here with mates.

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!