Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Fearless Females Post - Unusual Names

Well to start with my own name is a little strange. It's Sherida. My grandmother, Della Alexander Jaynes named me for a friend that had died young. I grew up never meeting anyone with my name, and it was guaranteed that the first day of school, every year of my schooling life, the teacher was going to say it wrong. Another eerie little tidbit is that I never saw my name listed anywhere except on a tombstone at the cemetery as a child. How spooky is that?

I do have an unusually named ancestor that has kept me wondering for a long time. My paternal grandmother was named Bizzie Lee Beard. In the1910 census she was listed as Lee B., 1920 census as Busylee and 1930 census, as a married adult, she was listed as Bessie. All documents with her name she is listed as Bizzie Lee. I have never found this name anywhere else. I just keep feeling that it had to be a nickname. By the way, it was always run together as though it was one name, Bizzilee.

This post is for the blog prompt carnival, "Fearless Females: 31 Blogging Prompts to Celebrate Women's History Month"

No comments:

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!