Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Frustrating Search

I have been searching for a first name for a long time. Somehow it was lost. Not by me. By the time I can along it had been lost. My great-grandmother, Cora Hines [Abbott/Jaynes] was twice married, first time ended in divorce. The first marriage is the one I have been trying to find. She was born March 8, 1870 in Neoga, Cumberland County, Illinois, and died December 21, 1948 in Jackson County, Indiana. She was first married to an Abbott man. So far as I can see they only had two children. Katy Abbott Forrest [Edna Catherine - born May 9, 1892 died in 1934 of TB - married to George "Frank" Forrest] and Percy Abbott. I have not found Percy. My gr-aunt said both Katy and Percy were buried in Washington County, Indiana, but I found Katy beside her husband in Seymour, Jackson County, Indiana. Katy had a son. I don't know anymore than that. I always hoped I would run into the family of her son online.
There is a story about Percy. My grandmother told me Cora had told to her early in her marriage to my grandfather. It was that Percy was always a very delicate child, often sick. But one day he simply laid down in the floor and died. My grandmother said he was around 12 years old. I have not found a whisper of him in records.
Cora married George Thomas [Tom] Jaynes Sept 11, 1896. Percy was supposed to be alive then. What I have been looking for is the Abbott mans first name. I cannot find a record of marriage or divorce. The marriage could have taken place in any of 3 states, Indiana, Ohio or Illinois. There was a lot of family still in Ohio, Cora was born in Illinois, there were a lot of trips to Ohio and they lived in Switzerland County, Indiana for a time. I believe she was living there when she and my gr-grandfather met. They were living in Seymour, Indiana at the time of her death. They were an interesting couple. He was the reason I started out researching my family history. But that is another story. A spooky one......................... :>o

1 comment:

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Have you tried a newspaper search? Divorces often were listed in papers.

Good luck!

RootsTech!

 Today is the day!!!!